Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Random Notes

I don't have much to say at the moment, but here are some things that have been going through my head in relation to games.

- I guess I'm the only person around who isn't thrilled with Tunnels & Trolls. I'm happy for those of you who have been waiting for this.

- I don't know what to make of the things going on with Dwimmermount. I'm sure that it will work out in the end, but I am sadly reminded of the problems that plagued Space 1889 when it was first published.

- It's amazing how many things can go wrong with a boardgame. Still, Ogre is a great game and everything will be excellent, I am sure.

- It's been so long since I've created an adventure in the old style that I forgot how difficult it can be to design a secret door. Does anyone know of any resources that outline different types of secret doors?

- I'm developing a more precise understanding of what my ideal game should look like. Sadly for me, there is no published game that sits in exactly that sweet spot (I'm pretty sure that it's somewhere in the space between OD&D, Runequest, GURPS, Swordbearer, Flashing Blades, Pendragon, and Hârnmaster). I suppose that as my understanding becomes more complete I will be designing something that works there.

- I want to do another Obscure Games review, but I'm just not sure which game I want to do.  Maybe I'll do another poll to find out what other people want to see.

- Pathfinder MMO. But it can't use the Pathfinder rules in any way. O… K? Things have gotten weird in the mainstream gaming companies.

- I played the new X-Wing miniatures game yesterday. It was fun, and feels like flying space fighters in the Star Wars universe should feel. It helps that I won both games (I flew an X-Wing against two TIE fighters, the first time using the quick start rules, the second using the full rules), though the second game was extremely close - I actually lost until my opponent recalled that he wasn't allowed to fire in the situation we were in. I got the opportunity to exclaim, "I can't shake him!" So, that was satisfying.

6 comments:

  1. "Does anyone know of any resources that outline different types of secret doors?"

    That's interesting. I've seen online resources for traps and riddles, but not for secret doors.

    I assume that's what you mean? Secret doors that rely on player skill as opposed to character skill checks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly so. Like the sample of play in the original DMG.

      Delete
  2. I got the opportunity to exclaim, "I can't shake him!" So, that was satisfying.

    As it should be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something special about games that are based on fiction being able to match moments in that fiction, especially when they are emergent from otherwise general rules.

      Delete
  3. These were meant to be details for disarming traps, but I think many of them would work well for opening secret passages too:

    http://beyondtheblackgate.blogspot.com/2009/08/megadungeon-random-trap-disarming-table.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an excellent resource. Some of those may very well be useful. Thank you!

      Delete