Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Rumblings of Return?

I would like to get back to this blog. I think that, in this post-G+ era, blogs are where most of the interesting conversations about gaming are occurring. The groups on major social media sites are just too full of nonsense and babblings. No one cares about what alignment you want Rangers to be in your campaign—or if they do they're more likely to see it and pay attention in a blog post rather than a group post. The coming of blog "planets" like the Old School RPG Planet are helping that revival of blogs, too.

Part of this blog becoming a little less active than it once was is my own fault. Frankly, I'm really lazy about doing session write-ups. I have the first session of my new Stonehell Dungeon based campaign under my belt, but I still haven't written it up. I will, I hope.

Anyway, I was looking back at some of my series. The Obscure Games series is for sure going to be picking up, I think. I have a list of games still to review. I'll post them at the end of this post, probably behind a cut, so you can tell me what interests you most. These are games that I own in hardcopy that are broadly "obscure" by my own subjective criteria and that are not games I despise like FATE or whatever. In three cases, the fact that I own them in hardcopy is just because I or someone printed them out, but I can live with my own technicalities. There is one exception to those criteria, but only because I'm kind of smitten with the concept. And that's how reviews go here: if I don't have it in hardcopy, it will have to be ridiculously awesome to me.

I'm almost certain to do more Why I Like posts. I need to pick the games for it, though.

Goth of the Week is pretty much done, I think. It's a lot of effort for little return.

FBI Guide to Metahumans may return at some point. It may include metahumans designed for different systems than just Villains & Vigilantes, but I don't know.

Alternate Campaign Frames (for Traveller) may or may not return. It depends on if I think of something interesting to write for that concept.

My various campaign ideas that I am not actually running probably are going to stay on hiatus. I need to spend my time working on the game, or games as the case may be, that I am actually running. Unfortunately, that also includes the Real-Time Traveller thing that I didn't get very far with anyway. On the other hand, I may return to Flanaess Sector or GURPS Greyhawk because those are really high on my list.

I might do a solo game on here. Basically, I'd either pick up that Real-Time Traveller or some other campaign frame that interests me and run a solo game of it, probably using Mythic Game Master Emulator. I really want to do a Magic Noir game, whether based around GURPS Voodoo: The Shadow War, GURPS CabalMajus, or even Unknown Armies. Maybe even something else. However, running a solo game is a lot of effort that also requires writing up a session report, so it's a toss-up as to whether that will happen.

I might return to the WRG Game design exercise, but then again maybe not. I still find the idea intriguing, but my group seems more interested in playing something than helping design it. But who knows?

Anyway, without further ado, here's the list of games I currently have in the queue for Obscure Games reviews:




Adventures Dark & Deep
Aftermath!
Albedo Anthropomorphics
Amber Diceless Roleplaying
Authentic Thaumaturgy
Barbarians of Lemuria
Bubblegum Crisis
Buck Rogers Adventure Game: High Adventure Cliffhangers
The Burning Wheel/Burning Sands: Jihad
Celtic Legends
Chivalry & Sorcery
Colonial Troopers
Comix
CORPS
Cyberpunk/Cyberpunk 2020
Dangerous Journeys
Dark Conspiracy
Delving Deeper
Dogs in the Vineyard
Dragonquest
Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium (I printed out a copy of the PDF that I found online)
Dungeon Crawl Classics
Empire of the Petal Throne
Fading Suns
Fantasy Gaming
The Fantasy Trip
Flashing Blades
FuRPiG
Ghost Dog
Guardians
HeroQuest RPG
In Nomine
James Bond 007
Jovian Chronicles
Kult
Lace & Steel
Legendary Lives
Lords of Creation
Magical Fury
Majus
Manhunter
Mongoose Traveller
Mutant Future
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Nephilim
Over the Edge
Pendragon
Pocket Universe
Pokéthulhu
Princess: The Hopeful (PDF only, but I'm pretty fascinated by it)
Reign
The Riddle of Steel
Ringworld
Risus
RuneQuest 3
Sailor Moon RPG
Shattered Dreams
Silent Legions
Spaceship Zero
SpaceTime
Spears of the Dawn
Stars Without Number
Starships & Spacemen
Star Trek (FASA)
Stormbringer
Superworld
The Swing
Tales of the Space Princess
Thousand Suns
TimeLords
Top Secret
TORG
TWERPS
Twilight 2000
Underground
Unknown Armies
Villains & Vigilantes
White Star
Witch Hunt
Worlds of Wonder

While I'm at it, for reference, here are the ones I've already done with links to the reviews:

The Arcanum
Fantasy Wargaming (an eight-part series!)
Hârnmaster
Heroes & Heroines
High Colonies
Lands of Adventure
Marc Miller's Traveller
MegaTraveller
Realms of the Unknown
Space 1889
Supergame
Swordbearer
Swords & Wizardry
Traveller
Traveller: The New Era
Traveller5
WarpWorld

Hope your year is going well so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment