Monday, March 22, 2021

Request For A GURPS Expert

 I've been playing GURPS, off and on, since the late 1980s, when a friend convinced me to get involved in a playtest for GURPS Cyberpunk. That turned out to be fun, and I slowly warmed to the system. However, I never became an expert in it, and due to circumstances beyond my control I was away from gaming from about when 4th edition came out until maybe 2008, then was pulled away again in 2011 or so, when I was forced into reading games more than playing them. As a result, I've never really gotten how some of GURPS works on a deep level. For that reason, I like to see examples of cinema explained in GURPS terms, such as the author of GURPS Technical Grappling, who has described the Black Widow fight in Iron Man 2, among others, or the author of the GURPS Tactical Shooting supplement describing various movie gunfights in GURPS rules (there are more than gunfights from movies under that tag, but unfortunately I don't think there's a tag more specific to that genre of post at his blog).

When one of the YouTube channels I follow, which is about stage combat among other things, posted the following video about the Max/Furiosa fight in Mad Max: Fury Road, it occurred to me that there are a number of useful and somewhat complicated elements in that fight which would come in handy for a GURPS GM to know how to portray in the combat rules for that game. So, I'd like to ask that someone who can write up such a thing please describe that fight in GURPS terms. If someone would be so kind, thank you in advance.



7 comments:

  1. This does not directly answer your question, but are you familiar with the podcast Film Re-roll? They use gurps to play through the plots of famous movies, almost always encountering a huge plot deviation from an unlucky roll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not! It sounds very interesting. Could you provide a link to it?

      Delete
    2. Interesting idea. I had not heard of this either, but a quick search found the following site:
      http://www.filmreroll.com/

      Delete
    3. https://www.filmreroll.com/

      Speed and Back to the Future 2, while on the sillier side, are both good samples because A) they're quick and breezy and B) the plots very quickly go off the rails and never get back.

      Labyrinth and Practical Magic are both good examples of more "serious" ones (i.e., played straight by the participants).

      Jaws and Halloween are two of my personal favorites, although they are both longer ones.

      Delete
    4. Thank you to all of you! That does seem like a remarkable resource.

      Delete
  2. Ask Doug, he appears to love doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion. I've sent him a message calling his attention to this post.

      Delete